The Official Virginia & Truckee Railroad Website in Virginia City!
Tickets are available online for the Historic Route from Virginia City to Carson City — Come experience a great ride for the whole family, recently featured on Great Scenic Railway Journeys
Historic Route -- Virginia City to Gold Hill
Travel back to the bonanza days on the historic and scenic original Virginia & Truckee Railroad route. The V&T conductor tells the story of Nevada’s late 19th century mining boom, when the V&T was built and Virginia City was the richest city on earth, with more millionaires than anywhere else.Watch for exposed veins of silver ore and more, including:
• Board from the original 1870 V & T passenger depot and museum – Virginia City station, three blocks from downtown’s fascinating C Street, with free parking.
• Comstock Mines – During the ride, you’ll pass by many mine sites including the Gould & Curry, Savage, Hale & Norcross, Potosi, Chollar, Julia, Ward Bullion, East Yellow Jacket, Crown Point, Kentuck, Yellow Jacket, Combination and the Foreman.
• Gold Hill – rich in American history, where the Comstock Era gold and silver strikes began in 1859. See the train depot, the Liberty Engine fire company monument, dine at the 1859
• Gold Hill Hotel and see the early Bank of California building and the Maynard Block.
Sisters in History -- Carson City to Virginia City
• Tunnel No. 2 – 566 feet long.
• American Flat – site of a gold and silver mining town that lobbied to become the state capital, but disappeared when the ore did.
• Overman Pit Embankment – 300,000 cubic yards of fill rising 120 feet above the east side of the mining pit.
• Scales/water stop – 260,000 tons of ore were weighed here in one year (1876) and 40 trains a day picked up water.